A numerous designs and types of pulleys are proposed, to meet the great variety of uses. To meet the duties of the severest working conditions they may be supplied rubber lagged. Lagging prevents belt slippage (in particular when water is present) and increases the drive traction of the pulley. For Drive pulleys a friction lagging should always be used.
Taper friction lock assemblies allow compression shaft locking, using a system of screws and tapered sleeves, eliminating play and eccentricity ensuring the power transmission at the end disc/hub of the pulley.
Pulleys using this method of shaft locking are the most utilized today for their strength, simplicity of construction, assembly and maintenance.
According to the position that they occupy in a belt conveyor, the pulleys must withstand the forces imposed by both belt tension and conveyed load. To be as efficient as possible both for replacement and for new installation, proper selection of pulleys requires the following data that allows the determination of the construction characteristics and dimension.
The principal data necessary to design a pulley comprises the following:
– belt width;
– diameter of drum in relation to the belt type and characteristics;
– locking arrangement of the shaft to the pulley (friction locking, welding);
– position of pulley (drive, return, snub, etc…);
– wrap angle of belt on pulley;
– belt tension T1, T2 or T3;
– distance between the supports and flange of the pulley “A”;
– type of lagging as required..
- The Importance of Stress Analysis for Pulley Performance in Conveyor Systems
- Conveyor Pulleys in the Food Manufacturing Industry
- Timing Belts and Conveyor Pulleys: How Do They Work Together?
- The Importance of Proper Bearing Assembly in Conveyor Pulleys
- The Importance of Conveyor Pulleys in the Mining Industry
- Uses and Applications of Conveyor System Belts
- Bearings in Conveyor Pulleys
- The Importance of Proper Sealing System in Conveyor Pulleys
- The Importance of Preventive Maintenance in Conveyor Pulleys
- The Importance of Engineering and Dimensions in Conveyor Pulleys
- What is Lagging in Conveyor Pulleys and How Does It Work?
- What Is An Idler Pulley?
- The Significance of Bearing Housings in Conveyor Pulleys
- Applications of Shaft Locks in Conveyor Pulleys
- The Importance of Timing and Accuracy in Conveyor Pulleys
- What Are the Different Types of Pulleys?
- Basic Components of Conveyor Pulleys
- Introduction to Conveyor Pulleys